Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Varnam in Lalitha Ragam

It was about three years ago I think, when I decided to attempt one more varnam after the Bahudari one. My ever enthusiastic mom of course readily agreed again to write the lyrics. This time I asked her to try something different- instead of the usual theistic overtones, I suggested her to write something on the Raga itself, since Lalitha had left an indelible mark on me. It is an epitome of beauty, serenity, tranquil... I can go on and on (Popular songs in this raga : Hiranmayim by Muththuswami Dikshitar; Idhazhil Kadhai Ezhudhum by Ilaiyaraja, Vairamuththu)
For some reason, this song did not see the light of the day all these years- something kept me from recording it. Today, my sister's blog post prompted me to record this!
So its up here now for you to listen and appraise.

(Updated recording with swaram and 2 speeds)



VARNAM
Ragam:Lalitha (SRGMDNS ; SNDMGRS ,janyam of Mayamalavagowla(15))
Talam:Adi
Swaras (tune) :Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam.
Lyrics: Vijayalakshmi Bhakthavatsalam.

Swaram:

( Notation used: lower case-mandra sthaayi, upper case-madhyama sthaayi, upper case bold-thaara sthaayi )

Pallavi:
Ma,D ,MGM DaMa DNSR | SaSN NDMG | MaGR Ga,, ||
MGRN DMDM GMGR SnSR | Sa,, ,,nd | nS,R ,SRG ||

Anupallavi:
SaSa NNDD MDMG MDGa | GMDa MDNi | SRGM DNSa ||
NDNS ,RSR GMR, ,SNS| N,D, MDM, |SNDM GRS,||

Muktaayi Swaram:
dndS nRSG RMGM DDMa | DMGM NDMD |SNDR SNSa ||
SRNS ,RSR G,,M ,GR, | RNDM | ,DMa MGRR ,SnS ||

Charanam :
Ni,, ,NSR SNDa SNDM | Ga,, ,,MD GaMG RGMD ||

Chittai Swarams:
1. Ma,, ,,Ga ,,Ri ,,Ri | Sa,n ,,da | niSR GMaD ||
2. NSRN SDNS NDMM DMGM | GRnS ndnS | RnSR GMMD ||
3.MDNS NDMa ,,Ga ,MaM | GRnS ndnd | mdnS Rni, ||
SRGM ,GRG RGMD ,MGM GMDN ,DMD MDNS ,SND ||
4.SaRN SNDN ,DMD ,MGG | Ma,, ,,,, | ,,,G MDND ||
SaRN SNDN ,DMD ,MGG | Ma,, ,,GM | Da,M DNSR ||
SRGM DMGM RiNS NDNS | SRNS NDNS | RNDM Da,, ||
MDGM ,MGR SRnS ,Snd | ddnS RnSR | GMDN SRGa ||
GMRG MMGR SRNS RSND | MGRS NDMG | RSND NDMD ||

Lyrics:
Pallavi:
mAthE mALavagowLai peRRa magaLE!
lalithE ena nAmam koNdAi

Anupallavi:
rAginiyE ERRam peRRAi sa ri ga ma da ni sa
thayai koNdu iRanginAi sa ni da ma ga ri sa

Charanam:
nin ezhilil en vasam izhanthEnE!

Transaltion:
Pallavi:
Oh lovely damsel,daughter of Mayamalavagowla,
You got to be named Lalitha.

Anupallavi:
Oh Ragini! you ascend as sa ri ga ma da ni sa
Nevertheless, mercifully descend for us; as sa ni da ma ga ri sa.

Charanam:
I lost myself in your beauty!


22 comments:

SUMI said...

It's lovely! As I was listening to the song, it felt physical, and the concept of viewing a raga as a persona with its own beauty/grace/virtue/vanity is really beautiful.

I love both the music and the lyric compositions, and it is gracefully rendered.

There seem to be some issues with the Shruti in some places, like you mentioned on IM. Also, in "maathe", isn't it त instead of द, although techinically these are interchangeable in Tamil?

Another thing is, in the higher octaves, you need to open your mouth and let the air flow freely out of your lungs/base of your lungs. It has a slight nasal tone right now... Not that I do that. It's difficult and takes immense practice and stamina.

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thank you Sumi.
I felt it was a little nasal too. Cold and throat problems seem to perpetually bug me...
And no, it is not maathe, but maadhe.
As you see in the translation, Lalitha is not being referred to as Mother, but rather a young lady, for which the tamil word is maadhu.
While transliterating though, it is written as mAthE.

SUMI said...

ah, I see, interesting. I assumed it was "mother"

Murali Venkatraman said...

wonderful sindhu. enjoyed every nuance and the overall composition. lalitha la oru light song compose paNNi paakkaren :)

Jo said...

I don't understand anything about Raaga etc, but I thoroughly enjoyed this Sindhu! Beautiful composition.

KG said...

The composition is wonderful overall. As Sumi pointed out, it is very interesting to view a raga as a personality. Viewing Lalitha as a child of Mayamalavagowlai is beautiful. As always wonderfully executed. A little nit pick as I had pointed out...the pallavi seems to just stop for a moment. May be the madhyamakalam might make it compelling..any thought on adding chittai swaram yet?

Anonymous said...

interesting composition. concentrate on thalam (when you begin the charanam)

Anonymous said...

Very cool attempt ... Please sing in second kaalam too to get the perfection of varnam. A feel like u suddenly closed the door :)-

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thank you, Murali, Jo, namelessnerd, anonymous and sreejith. I guess I should sing the 2nd kalam too.
namelessnerd- I think I understand what you're saying- the word namam ending in Sa, as a landing note and that too sustained there for sometime probably gives a feeling that the sentence has ended when actually it continues.
Thanks for pointing out. Will see what I can do...

rosh said...

absolutely melodious, i really enjoyed listening to this one sindhu.
thanks for sharing the lyrics and the swarams, was interesting to follow the same while listening to the song.

Anonymous said...

Sindhu,
Absolutely beautiful. Especially the lyrics were one of its kind. It is a treat to visit your blog each time.
vidhya

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks Roshni and Vidhya! :)

dushy said...

Wowowowow!

Absolutely awesome

Lalitha reminds me of DKJ's Hiranmayeem!
And now onwards ur varnam too!

Unknown said...

WOW!!! sindhu.. lovely variations :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, very nice. good work. keep it up. R u in india ?

Anonymous said...

I love listening to classical; but don't know the technicals to comment. This was so nice - reminded me of the "vanakkuyile kuyil " from Priyanka movie and "Sengamalam sirikkudhu" - Dhavani Kanavugal. You have a very good voice. Sounded divine. - Balaji R

Shashi said...

Guess you don't know me. I am Nagashree's (Sumi's friend from school) older sister. Excellent composition, fresh voice. I wish I could listen to you sing personally. I have heard that Sumithra has a sister, didnt ever hear that she was so talented.
Shashi

Anonymous said...

what a lovely composition...!
you are blessed with crystal clear voice..amazing!...
just one suggestion..while singing the high swaras..don't soften your voice too much..just sing openly.
God bless

Aakarsh said...

Very nice. i almost clapped when it finished and realized that I am in office. Beautifully captured the bhaavam in the raaga.

Sri said...

Outstanding Composition

Sri said...

Great Singing with perfect sruti

Saraswathy said...

Hello...
Is the link to the audio clip broken? If you so, can you please fix it? I would love to hear this piece. Thanks.