Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Sanga thamizh kaviye

To me, sanga thamizh kaviye is a song in which KJY and Chitra epitomize the ultimate immaculateness of rendering classical based songs. Every nuance in every briga and every sangathi seems to have been ever so carefully sculpted and delicately put in place. Of course, maestro Ilaiyaraja's magic is seen through and through - in the choice of ragas (Abheri, Sriranjani, Sumanesaranjani), the structure of the interludes, the talam which seems to have a seamless gathibhedam, alternating between tishram and chaturshram; and so on. But I feel the rendition itself is so integral to the song that I wonder if it would have sounded as good if anyone else had sung it (and excuse my bias- can't help saying, "especially Chitra" :) ) Although not a big fan of the lyrics, I simply love this song for the music and the voices.
Here's my "unplugged" version of the song. I haven't ventured into trying any modifications or improvisations- I simply didn't want to. So here's a modest attempt of the textbook version.
Thanks for listening!

Song: sangaththamizh kaviye
Film: manadhil urudhi vendum
Music: Ilaiyaraja
Lyrics: Vaali
Singers: K.J.Yesudas; K.S. Chitra



20 comments:

Deepthi said...

Brilliant Sindhu!!! The first time I heard this song was in a cassette which you had recorded for me...the cassette wore out soon(coz there were so many other such gems in it).
Your rendition of it reminded me of that excitement of listening to great music again! :)

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks! :)
PS: I don't think I recorded this for you coz I never had this one on a cassette - I remember recording some other IR hits for you though. But I indeed did make you listen to this one (on the comp) during those times :) Ah...

Karthik Nagarajan said...

Sindhuja..this is an amazing post and a great revival of memories about IR's golden age...while a very easy song by your standards, a really good selection.

SUMI said...

excellent!

Anonymous said...

idhukkellaam comment pOttu kattuppadi aagaadhu! whistle mattum dhaan! :)

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanku, thanku, Karthik, Sumi and Vijay!

Ram said...

Hi,

I am not a big fan of music and do not know carnatic.

But this voice was mind blowing , keep running in my brain nerves.

Awesome work on this song.

You are truly gifted.

Like to see you making more changes/ enhance the music community.

Anonymous said...

Can you sing one with Shankar Tucker?

karthika said...

Really divine voice and sung very well.

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks a lot Ram and Karthika! Appreciate it.

Anonymous: sure, if I get a chance!

Nithy said...

Hi,

This rendition was awesome - especially the sivaranjini part of it. Ur voice presence is very good in varied pitches....had a chance to listen to a few songs of urs in ur blog today.
Thanks..

Can I ask you how did u record this - meaning in a audio theatre?/ what software ? the background was crystal clean with only the shruthi / thambura sound

Nithy said...

sorry that was sriranjini....

Aham Asmi said...

Big fan of this song from Raaja. Came across your link when I was searching for its raagam. Awesome rendition. And you have a superb voice. Keep singing.

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Nithy: Thanks! I record at home with a Blue Yeti mic on Garageband.
Aham Asmi: Thanks very much!

Sujatha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sujatha said...

Mind blowing rendition. Excellent. Superb . Splendid. You are really gifted and talentd.

Unknown said...

Splendid rendition combines with artistic Choreography. Mr.Srssdhar the actor has excelled in Dance. Ragamalika- First in Raaga- ABHERI, second in Raaga-BHAGHESHREE, nad third in Raaga-SUMANESARANJANI

Unknown said...

No Rishbham in Arohanam. Sriranjani is Shadava Sampoornam.So the second Raagam cannot be Sriranjani

Sowmya Varun said...

Hi.. know it's not a recently active thread. But is the first Raagam abheri or is it dhanashri (as in the thillana by Swathi Thirunal?

Anonymous said...

Me too..randomly landed while searching for ragas. God bless you. Awesome voice. I listen to your version daily.