Monday, September 19, 2011

My article on raga recognition in Sruti Magazine

I'm happy to share that my article on the neurophilosophy of raga recognition appeared in the September 2011 issue of Sruti. What started as a term paper for a class I took long ago (more than a year now) with Prof Paul Churchland has resulted in this. Thanks to Swaroop who first spotted it on my blog when I'd posted it for a very brief period last year; and of course, to the editor Ramnarayan.

As Octaves completes five years this month (that's right, five! hard to believe for me); it's a nice feeling to be writing musicology/ music theory related posts back to back. After all, I've always primarily been a theorist at heart.

Here's the article.
(Disclaimer: the model I discuss as I conceived of it in this context is just that: a model; a kind of an artificial neural network for heuristic purposes only)

PS: Please do subscribe to Sruti if you're interested in the Indian classical arts. It's an immensely valuable resource!

Raga recognition


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic! I love Nithyashree but thought she sounded shrill in the original. You topped the original.

Unknown said...

I was listening to your Kannodu kaanbadhellam reading your blog, both are fabulous!

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks very much for the nice words!