Monday, March 16, 2009

Jotheyali

Pity that hailing from Bangalore, I haven't done a Kannada song till now... Growing up, Kannada was the second language I learnt and having lived in Bangalore all my life, Kannada holds a special place for me :)
I've finally managed to do a Kannada number now with Jo - Jotheyali. This is a HUGE hit from the 80's and till today, any important function in the city like Rajyotsava day, and this is the song that blares out through loudspeakers. The late Shankar Nag who was the hero in this film still has a huge dedicated fan following and almost every Kannadiga adores him.
I've always loved this song, and long after I got a karaoke track for it (thanks to Madhu), requested Jo to do it thinking his voice would suit the song. I think he has done a great job of it, taking care to get the pronunciations right. Let us know what you think of this one!
(The tune was recycled by Raja recently in a song in the Hindi movie Cheeni Kum-like all the other songs in the movie- called Jaane do na. Hope to record that sometime as well...)

Here goes- Jotheyali- dedicated to all the Kannadigas out there! How I miss home...

Song: Jotheyali
Film: Geetha
Music: Ilaiyaraja
Lyrics: Udayashankar
Singers: SPB, S. Janaki

This version mixed by: Joseph Thomas






14 comments:

Vidyu said...

Awesome choice! One of my favs too..Very well sung! Both ur voices sound sooo good! Beautiful..
Jo, u've done a great job with the kannada pronounciation! :-) nice expressions!
Sindhu, in the lines kamana billeruva and jaarutha naavaaduva felt a slight strain in reaching the high notes..nonetheless, absolutely enjoyed! :-)

SUMI said...

very very nice. Made me so nostalgic! well sung, both of you, Sindhu and Jo!

Bassix said...

Nice rendition! Initially I had to get out of the mold that I am not listening to Janaki :) But otherwise, your voice was great. Looking forward to your rendition of "Jaane do na".

Cheers,
Krishna

Sundar said...

I have heard the tamil version of this song "Vizhiyile" but hearing the kannada version for the first time. Great work Sindhuja and Jo.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. It was a treat to my ears.
More kannada songs please...

sankarkumar said...

hi
i am from chennai.
new commer of bloger.
ur blog is very good.
thank u
plz cvisite my blog
http://sankarkumarpakkam.blogspot.com/

meena said...

wow..super rendition sindhu and Jo.I have hrd Vizhiyile mani song.Though I don't understand the language I enjoyed a lot.Liked your version very much.I think its kapi ragam not sure though..:P.

Murali Venkatraman said...

Hey guys..It sounded very good ! The aalaap was nice Jo ! Your voice sounds absolutely stable. Good one.

Sindhu - smiles in the middle - very good.

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks very much to all of you!!

Jo said...

Thank you one and all! :-)

sankarkumar said...

i like to read ur log.
sankar
http://sankarkumarpakkam.blogspot.com/

AMIT said...

Nice song sung by you.

Boise real estate

Anonymous said...

Very nicely sung Sindhu. This song is one of my favorites! Very nice!

Vani

Sridhar P said...

Kudos, Good one...
Sumadhuravaadha geethe.. :)
Keep them Coming..