Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sonnaalum with Karthik Nagarajan

sonnaalum kaetpadhillai is one of those mesmerizing songs that I call "black holes" - once you start listening to it, it just sucks you in deeper and deeper till the point of no return. What a brilliant song with two of TFM's very best voices- Harini and Unnikrishnan. When it comes to female singers in TFM, the two that I simply adore and worship and Chitra and Harini (who to me is "Shreya of the South" ). While I've sung a quite a few of Chitra's songs, I've sung only one of Harini's so far (manam virumbudhae), that too in the good old days when I hadn't started recording digitally. I'm so glad I finally got to do one more.

Welcome Karthik Nagarajan- with whom I've sung this song- to the world of audioblogging. He's an incredibly talented singer I got introduced to, through a common friend. Do visit his blog that he's started recently to listen to some more of his songs.

Many thanks to Swati and Anil.B.S for the karaoke track. Anil had created this track for Swati and Ali who did a beautiful Hindi version of this song sometime back. Do listen to that one too,here.

So here is our version, up for you.
This song goes out especially to my dad- he totally loves this song, lyrics and all, and listens to it with the same involvement that he has while listening to a Carnatic concert :)

Song: sonnaalum kaetpadhillai
Movie: Kadhal Virus
Music: A.R.Rahman (ONE AND ONLY!)
Lyrics: Vairamuththu
Singers: Harini, Unnikrishnan

This version mixed by: Karthik Nagarajan



25 comments:

Mad Max said...

awesome song choice guys...really enjoyed it...fantastic..

Bassix said...

wow!! what a performance! keep it up!

First time hearing Karthik's voice, and it is brilliant.

Kudos to both of ya!

- Krishna

.:: ROSH ::. said...

sindhu that was totally mesmerizing. btw, i couldnt hear Karthik's vocals as loud as yours..can you pls check?

Murali Ramanathan said...

A lovely choice to render...and Very good performance...A few comments I have

Sindhus voice seems to be low.I think it can be increased.The sangathi in Sonnalum couple of times by Sindhu came out very well. A similar one in the male portion could have been more perfect after the anupallavi I guess ...I didnt fell into the correct notes I believe. Otherwise pretty good..Overall really enjoyed..

Vidyu said...

Beaaauuuutiful :=) very well sung Karthik & Sindhu!
Anil - great track! :=)

SUMI said...

very good job, both of u! waiting for more duets together. I think Karthik needs to check his reverb settings- sounds somewhat different- but singing is fantastic!

Murali Venkatraman said...

It is strange that this song which I instigated Swati and Ali to do innocuously has been redecorated by another favorite pair of mine.

Sindhu - it is absolutely ok to reduce the pitch a little bit and sing. mElE pOy en kashtappadarE ? maththapadi it sounds awesome and your tone is just the right fit.

Karthik - you are growing impressive day by day in your singing. But I have been seeing some pronunciation errors creeping in tamil (e.g. unclear rendition of thaLirE). Thiruchi dhaanE. thamiz thavaRakkoodaadhe :) Have been discussing possible projects with Sindhu - will let you know soon.

Jo said...

Great combo guys. :-) Loved this one!

Meera Manohar said...

beautiful song.. wah wah!

Sindhu-- Voice flows with such ease, it's sucha treat to hear this.. beautiful brigas. A little strain in the higher registers as Murali said.

Karthik-- Very beautiful voice, and effortless rendition. Agree with Sumi on the reverb settings!

Ramya said...

Sindhu, both ur players buffered vry slowly for me. I had to restlessly wait to hear this beautiful song.
Wonderful singing by both of u. Karthik, I guess yours was the voice I heard in poi solla koodadhu. Great job in this too.

Srividya Kasturi said...

Wonderful rendition, Sindhu and Karthik..Loved both ur voices in this one!

Vidya said...

Great choice! Wonderful rendition of a beautiful song :)

Sindhuja: Your "Sonnalum" sangathi is mindblowing. I kept listening to that over and over again, you do a great job of getting the tone right. I also think your voice was very well suited for this song! Great job!

Karthik: Technically brilliant as always... what I'm noticing from all your recordings however is that your voice changes quite a bit when you start hitting higher notes... it becomes thinner and loses some of the "emotional tone".

I'd suggest lowering the pitch for some of these songs so both of you can be more comfortable singing.

Keep em coming!

Vidya
www.notesandkeys.blogspot.com

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thank you all!
Murali, Meera and Vidya- pointers appreciated, noted :)

Nandita M said...

Wow! Quite a wonderful performance by the both of you. I felt the song was brilliantly done. A slightly lower pitch might have enhanced it even further.

Pavithra said...

Hey Sindhu

OMG u guys ROCK! Good Choice of Song! Ur voice is soo good! And Awesome job for hitting those high notes! I knew you guys wud make a great DUO! :) Just keep rocking!

(btw u guys wud be perfect for Azhage Sugama)

AMIT said...

You have a good knowledge about this.

Boise real estate

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks, Nandita, Pavithra and Amit.

smitha said...

Very nice song, Sindhuja.

smitha said...

Very nice choice of song and redition, Sindhuja.

Vamsi Nadella said...

Awesome. Just Awesome guys. Nothing more to say!!!!

Kavi Sai said...

Sindhuja,
u are brilliant...U have a fan.
-Kavitha

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks much, Smitha, Vamsi and Kavitha!

Smitha said...

Recently heard Swati's version on Muziboo and loved it. Meera mentioned to me that u had covered this one...got to it now.

What do I say? Brilliant is the word! Beautiful harqats...loved it.

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks a lot Smitha! :)

Anonymous said...

truly marvelous performance both of you! a perfect 5/5