Sunday, May 08, 2011

Payaliya Jhankar

For a while now, I've been having what a friend rightly called "singer's block"- I simply haven't been able to sing. Not been practicing, abandoned music classes constantly feeling I don't have time for it, and worse, reinforcing in myself that I simply cannot do it. Grad school has indeed been exhausting, but I can't conscientiously convince myself that I don't have time to sing- it's rather just been a different avatar of plain procrastination I guess. I finally forced myself to resume music classes and it feels very rejuvenating! Anyway, all the ranting apart, here's a new song finally.

I first heard Payaliya Jhankaar, a popular "chota khayal" in Raag Puriya Dhanashri (Pantuvarali in Carnatic), when I was probably 6 or 7- sung by one of my cousins who was learning Hindustani. My sister and me used to love this song... And then after many years, there was the silken voice of Hariharan rendering a few lines of the song as a prelude to A.R.Rahman's "Hai Rama yeh kya hua"- what a magical piece of music that was! And then came Ajay Pohankar's very classy "indipop" version which has a natural "instant appeal" factor to it. I'd been wanting to cover his version for a long time but somehow never got around to doing it. It's here now; finally. Thanks to Vijay Narayanan for the vocal-cut track. (I had to then play around with the track to reduce the pitch, so it probably isn't as good as it could've been).

Song: Payaliya Jhankaar
Artist: Ajay Pohankar
Album: Piya Bavari Again
Covered by: Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam




PS: Hope you like the new look of this blog! :)


15 comments:

aish said...

Waaw, you can sing Hindustani also !! Good stuff :)

sanath said...

Amazing..!! At some point, I was thinking it was the original song. Didn't even feel like you were singing..

Anonymous said...

Excellent rendition as ever.
Nice mixing.Ofcourse I don't know anything technically.I just feel the goodness in it.
Keepitup.

Chandana said...

Awesome Sindu .. You have a great voice..
Nice mixing Karithik. Good luck :)
-Chandana

malavika said...

awesome!!!!!!!!!.... all time favorite raagam!....beautifully sung!... :)

malavika said...

and ya....the blog looks good too...bright and pleasant..... :)

Namaji said...

Amazing rendition..

SUMI said...

Lovely!!

Meera Manohar said...

Beautifully done Sindhuja!

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks very much to all who've taken the time to listen and leave a comment. Appreciate it!

Arvind said...

Am renouncing my 24 years of corporate life and collecting inputs & sources of art & music inspiration.
Your site and work is in my Favourites. Wish you great luck and hope i can make a mark too!!!

Kaushik said...

Nice! Isn't this song also the prelude to "Hai Rama..." (Rangeela)?

-Kaushik

Unknown said...

Excellent! Mesmerizing!!
This is one of my favourite Hindustani piece. Was looking for it on Google, when chanced upon your Blog.
It is a treasure find. Would keep clued in.

Loved your rendition, would check other pieces too. My congratulations!!!

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Thanks very much, all!

Siddhesh said...

Awesome! You have a truly god gifted voice. Keep it up, very very nicely sung, and truly professional mixing + singing.